Last Thursday I had my port placed for easier access for chemotherapy. The port is a plastic device that was placed under my skin right up by my collar bone on the right side. I had to be there bright and early at 6 am. Everything went well with check-in and the surgery. They told me I'd probably wake up right out of the surgery but it took me about an hour. After the port placement we went over for my radiation appointment that was supposed to be at 7:30. We didn't get there until 11:00 but they were great at working us in since we had had surgery.
I went home afterward and spent most of the rest of the day slipping in and out of sleep in my bedroom. We told the kids to work together and leave me alone so I could rest. They actually did a really great job. It has taken me almost the entire week to feel better. There was a lot of bruising to other muscles in my shoulder and chest. It feels kind of weird knowing that there is something under my skin all the time. I'm hoping that I just get so used to it that I don't notice at all.
Monday, I had 2 MRI's done. One was my thoracic spine because the lumbar MRI showed that the tumors on my spine went up into my thoracic spine. Luckily the only thoracic vertebrae affected are the same ones they could see on the lumbar MRI. It made us feel very happy to find that out. The 2nd MRI was of my brain. We just wanted to verify that the cancer hadn't moved to my brain yet. I have never been so happy to find out that my brain is "unremarkable" :) we were so happy to have a 2nd bit of good news because up until this point it felt like everything came back negative.
I just finished my 10 days of radiation on my spine today. Next week on Tuesday I start chemotherapy. I'm nervous but it also helps me feel like we are doing something to take care of and kick the cancer out.




No comments:
Post a Comment