Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cleaning the house

I have finally found a system that seems to work for cleaning the house (at least for me). It is at flylady.com. She breaks everything up into babysteps to begin with. After you complete the babysteps everything has a zone. You basically work on a zone a week and at the end of the month the entire house has been deep-cleaned. Weekly chores are simplified and included in an hour clean done once per week. She also suggests using a timer to keep yourself on track, and recommends only doing cleaning 15 minutes at a time and giving yourself permission to stop when the 15 minutes is up. Another big thing is decluttering your house which should be done before you start doing the deep-cleaning zone work. She also talks about 2 minute hot spot cleaning and 5 minute room rescues everyday. I have been using her system for about 5 weeks and it has helped so much. I don't feel like I am cleaning all day anymore and not having anything to show for it when I am done because the house still looks like a mess. Joe finds it easier to help me clean because there is a system to it and he knows what to expect. I have also found a place for almost everything. We are still working on the decluttering part, but I am getting close to finishing. My friend Julee told me about this website years ago and I wish I had gone to it then because it has helped so much.

3 comments:

Julee said...

Hahaha! I told you about it? Really? Don't tell Bob! :) I tried it once a long time ago, but it was too much for me then. Maybe I'll give it a try again when Braden starts school. I'm glad it's working for you!

Chris and Kat said...

I tried flylady awhile ago. I got overwhelmed checking my 30 emails everyday! :) I think it is GREAT that it is working for you. I will say that I love the idea of a clean sink. My day does go better when I wake up to a clean sink. I know that is silly. :)

My word verification is "spermo"
Oh that just finished off my day!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Elizabeth said...

Kat,
I chose the option they have of only receiving one email per day. They just put together up to 25 of the days emails and send it all together as one. I like it much better and then I just scan through what I want to read and ignore what I don't. I really like having a clean sink too. It makes me want to keep the rest of my kitchen clean.